Saturday, January 14, 2012

Child Development and Public Health

Breast feeding is an important topic to me because I am trying to convince my daughter to breastfeed her son when he is born in a couple of months. I did not breastfeed my children, but after reading and listening to the reports about the benefits and positive outcomes of breastfeeding, I would like my daughter to consider utilizing this option. Breastfeeding can eliminate or decrease my grandson from infection, illnesses, and allergies. Breastfeeding is said to enhance his development and his intelligence. Not only would my grandchild benefit, my daughter can benefit by increased post-partum weight loss. Though breastfeeding is common in Africa, breastfeeding in public is forbidden for Egyptian women. In Ghana, breastfeeding is viewed as the purest and highly encouraged way to nurse and letting a baby cry in public makes onlookers suspect the baby is stolen. It seems that it does not matter how and when the infant is breastfed, it is still considered to be the best way to deliver nutrients to infants.

2 comments:

  1. Nice information on the subject of breastfeeding. You know I have never seen a mother breastfeeding in public, this concept in really in rare in the U.S. I have heard discussions on TV about women being ridiculed for breasfeeding in public places, such as the court house, library,and museums. The U.S spends million of dollars on unnessary commercial, Why not have important commercials on issues that concern the positive well being of children? Like the importance of breastfeeding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First- congratulations on becoming a grandma soon! How exciting!! I'm curious as to why you did not breast feed your children? Is there a specific reason? Was there as much information back then about the benefits of breastfeeding as there is today? Breast is best! I tried breastfeeding my daughter but she struggled with it and after two weeks of trying I took her to the Pediatrician and found out why it was such a struggle. My daughter needed a part of her tongue clipped because her tongue was too short. So, needless to say: Breastfeeding didn't work out for me. Did you know that breastfeeding enhances vaccine responses? I find it interesting how breastfeeding is banned in certain areas of the world like Egypt. In my lifetime, I have seen a few women public ally breastfeed and it is a little uncomfortable for me to see just because every women is different and some women are not afraid to let everything hang out, while others do cover up everything. There has been much debate about whether or not breastfeeding should be banned in public places to avoid offending people.public areas. For example: Atlanta Georgia banned mothers from breastfeeding children two and older in public. In some states, breastfeeding has been banned in What is your personal opinion on people breastfeeding in public? Even a lot of restaurants and shopping centers are unsupported of nursing mothers. The good thing is: In the United States, women are gaining more breastfeeding rights.

    ReplyDelete