Saturday, January 7, 2012

Bringing Life to Life

My personal experience with childbirth was a traumatic and enduring  experience during the first time. My daughter, first birth, took approximately 28 hours and I did not remember anything because I was under so much pain medication. I did remember the experience of actually birthing my daughter. I can remember being given directions by the nurses on how to push. The doctor only entered at the end when it was time for the baby to actually be born. The doctor was not very active during the birthing process. The nurses did most of the work. Yes, there was much medication involved. One significant activity that is traditional with childbirth in the US is allowing the father to cut the umbilical cord. The excess cord remaining on the baby is removed at home by applying Vaseline and alcohol. Through my reading on gurgle.com, a great deal of significance is placed on the umbilical cord in many countries around the world. In Turkey, the umbilical cord is traditionally kept in the house and in other countries, such as Indonesia, the cord is sometimes buried alongside a symbolic tree. This was very shocking to me because in the U.S., the umbilical cord is used to give the father a more active part in the birthing process. In those other countries, the umbilical cord holds a more significant value.

4 comments:

  1. At my grandson's birth the umbilical cods was harvested for research. At the time of harvest all attention was immediately on her and the cord. The baby seemed secondary to getting that cord harvested properly. Still not as symbolic as in other countries, but of some value.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That information about the umbilical cord is really interesting. I wish that we had more significant traditions with the umbilical cord. I'm sorry that your birthing experience what so traumatic. I am not a mother yet, but I a sure that my turn will be hard as well. I don't do pain well, so I can only anticipate the struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The umbilical cord is very interesting. Here in California they do research on umbilical cords for stem cell to finding cures for cancer according to my big sister who is a Registered Nurse. They take the cord right after birth and take it to a lab. My sister has since left, but I believe they still do research with the cords.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine not having my delivery Doctor active in my labor/delivery/birthing process. That must have been really difficult for you to bare. I think childbirth is one of the most amazing things in the world and it's important to have a connection with your Doctor right from the start, someone who wants to care for you during your pregnancy until the end. I loved my Doctor and even sent her a thank you card after she delivered my daughter with a bunch of pictures. The umbilical cord is very interesting to learn about. My daughter had umbilical granuloma for a long time. Although her cord fell off on her own part of it was stuck inside her belly button causing her to have Doctor appointments more often then expected. It eventually got fixed and it healed up just fine. We had a scare during our delivery so my husband was unable to cut the umbilical cord. I'm hoping with my next pregnancy he will be able to do so. We are currently trying for another baby! Even though you were on a lot of pain medicine during your delivery, at least you remember your baby being born. There are no words to describe it!

    ReplyDelete